Torquay Surf Life Saving Club Nippers Program
The Torquay Surf Life Saving Club Nipper program is open to children aged 5 to 13 and runs from October through to March each year.
COVID 19 NOTE: Unfortunately, we have made the difficult decision to cancel our Under 6 and Under 7 age groups for the 2020/21 season, due to restrictive COVID guidelines. Our U6/7s will be back for next summer!
Through delivery of the TSLSC Nipper Program we aim to provide a pathway for future lifesavers through life saving skill development and surf sports, bring families and friends together in community service, and foster an appreciation and respect for the ocean and natural environment.
Nippers will develop their surf skills like wading, surf swimming, board paddling and beach flags, and learn about the dynamic beach and ocean environment, and how to enjoy it safely with their friends and family.
Importantly, the whole family can get involved with parents and older siblings encouraged to help in the water, or in one of the many supporting roles on the beach or within club administration.
To participate in the Nipper program, children must be part of a current financial Family Membership of TSLSC.
There are two components to the TSLSC Nipper Program, the Summer Holiday Program and Surf Sports:
- The Summer Holiday Program is perfect for the new nipper! We deliver an intensive surf education program where nippers learn about the ocean and beach safety and are taught a range of essential surf skills in a safe and fun environment.
- Surf Sports is suited to the nipper that has a good standard of surf skills and enjoys competing at carnivals and the State Championships. The focus is on developing competitive skills in beach and water events , building fitness and resilience and having lots of fun!
SURF SPORTS TRAINING 2020/21
COVID 19 NOTE: Training will be in maximum groups of 10 nippers per age group until further notice, but we anticipate this group size to increase to 20 reasonably soon!
Training will commence Wednesday 18 November…and continue until March with the training schedule as follows:
Wednesday all Age Groups @ TSLSC
- U8, U9, U10: 5.15pm – 6.00pm
- U11, U12, U13: 6.15pm – 7.00pm
Sunday all Age Groups @ TSLSC
- U11, U12, U13: 8.30am – 9.15am
- U8, U9, U10: 9.30am – 10.15am
SUMMER HOLIDAY PROGRAM
COVID 19 NOTE: The TSLSC Summer Holiday Program (SHP) is subject to approval LSV, so session times are indicative and are subject to change depending on logistics and restrictions. Times are expected to remain early morning to avoid congestion with public beach users. The Welcome Event, Nipper Disco and SHP Presentation will be subject to mass gathering restrictions and as such are tentatively scheduled at this stage.
TO PARTICIPATE IN THE SUMMER HOLIDAY PROGRAM, ALL PARENTS MUST HAVE SUBMITTED A CURRENT WORKING WITH CHILDREN CHECK (WWCC) BY DECEMBER 20. WITHOUT A WWCC MEMBERSHIPS WON’T PROCESSED AND A PROGRAM SPOT CANNOT BE SECURED.
Planned dates and timing for the 2020/21 Summer Holiday Program are:
- SHP Welcome Event 4:00pm (TBC) 26 Dec.
- SHP Session 1 8:00am – 11:00am Sunday 27 Dec.
- SHP Session 2 8:00am – 11:00am Monday 28 Dec.
- SHP Session 3 8:00am – 11:00am Tuesday 29 Dec.
- SHP Session 4 8:00am – 11:00am Wednesday 30 Dec.
- SHP Session 5 8:00am – 11:00am Thursday 31 Dec.
- Rest Day Friday 1 Jan.
- SHP Session 6 8:00am – 11:00am Saturday 2 Jan.
- Nipper Disco 6pm (TBC) Saturday 2 Jan.
- SHP Session 7 8:00am – 11:00am Sunday 3 Jan.
- SHP Presentation 11:30am -1:00pm (TBC) Sunday 3 Jan
Please refer to the links on this page for more information, or send an email to Matt Henderson our Director, Junior Development at [email protected].
Interested in joining our Nippers?
Contact our Nippers Director